  From: Frank Manola
  To: Richard H. McCullough
  Cc: Jon Hanna ; www-rdf-interest@w3.org
  Sent: Friday, November 22, 2002 12:26 PM
  Subject: Re: KR and RDF Redux

  Richard--

  For one thing, RDF doesn't know anything about parts of *English*
  speech, just about parts of RDF syntax, so in

        <xx:John> <xx:wentTo> <xx:TheStore>

  "wentTo" is certainly a property as far as RDF is concerned.  For
  another, if you want to strictly rule out verbs, how do you still allow

  ex:John ex:authorOf ex:theBook

  while ruling out

  ex:John ex:wrote ex:theBook

  ("wrote" is a verb after all;  wouldn't you say the two forms meant the
  same thing?)

  You could get much more precise in your categories if you wanted, and do
  something like:

  ex:wentTo rdf:type ex:PastAction
  ex:agent rdf:type rdfs:Property
  ex:agent rdfs:domain ex:PastAction
  ex:agent rdfs:range ex:Person
  ex:where rdf:type rdfs:Property
  ex:where rdfs:domain ex:PastAction
  ex:where rdfs:range ex:Location
  ex:John rdf:type ex:Person
  ex:theStore rdf:type ex:Location

  ex:wentTo ex:agent ex:John
  ex:wentTo ex:where ex:theStore

  (see John Sowa's book "Knowledge Representation" if you want to delve
  into this kind of thing further).

  In these examples, we're trying to record English statements in a (very)
  restricted syntax, and in principal you can make that jump as broad or
  narrow as you like (before you start worrying about the logical
  machinery necessary to actually *record* the meanings of those
  statements in a machine-interpretable way).

  Now, how did you say

        <xx:John> <xx:wentTo> <xx:TheStore

  in KR?

  --Frank