Re: "Resource" (RDF vocabulary definitions)

David Menendez wrote:

> At 12:27 PM -0500 2002-11-21, Frank Manola wrote:
>
>> Also, if you don't like "resource", you might get more bang for your
>> argument taking it to the authors of RFC 2396 (see, e.g.,
>> http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2396.txt) or to uri@w3.org.  This isn't
>> an RDF-specific usage, after all.
>

> What about URI references which include fragment identifiers? My reading
> of RFC 2396 is that <http://example.org/> and <http://example.org/#foo>
> refer to the same resource.

They don't (necessarily) refer to the same resource in RDF, and there's
been a lot of discussion about that point, including discussion in
uri@w3.org (the current RDF Concepts document refers to "RDF URI
references", with a discussion of what equality means for them, and we
try to be consistent in the other documents).  Note though that the
origin of the current issue was why "resource" was used at all, as
opposed to something like "existent", and "resource" as defined in RFC
2396 is the basis of this usage.

--Frank