  From: Murray Spork
  To: Richard H. McCullough ; www-rdf-interest@w3.org
  Sent: Thursday, November 21, 2002 5:33 PM
  Subject: Re: RDF vocabulary definitions

  Richard H. McCullough wrote:
  > This is where I draw the line in the sand.
  > I am definitely saying that the concept of RDF Class is wrong.
  > I'll try to answer each of your questions.  If I haven't answered some
  > to your satisfaction, speak up.
  >
  > 1. a number is a class.
  > "two" is the abstraction of "two apples", "two oranges", "two people", etc.
  >
  > 2. an empty class is nonexistent.
  > if the class has no members, it is a "floating abstraction", a
  > "contradiction"
  > it does not exist
  > it has no properties
  > how many ways can I say it?

  I think one of the main motivations with description logics is that you
  can partially describe things (configuration management systems make
  great use of this). Having an RDF graph that asserts the existence of
  some class - but that does not assert the existence of any members of
  that class - does not mean that no members exist. It just means we don't
  know about those members yet.

  Cheers

  --
  Murray Spork
  Centre for Information Technology Innovation (CITI)