  From: David Menendez
  To: Richard H. McCullough ; www-rdf-interest@w3.org
  Sent: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 2:16 PM
  Subject: Re: RDF vocabulary definitions

  At 1:31 PM -0800 2002-11-20, Richard H. McCullough wrote:
    David
    I appreciate your effort.  I'm afraid I was erroneously venting my frustration on you.  I apologize for that.

  Apology accepted.

    I have been frustrated in my attempts to pin down the meaning of "Class".  There are so many documents that I have trouble finding one which addresses my concerns, and almost as much trouble re-finding it later.

  Something for the working group to consider, I imagine. One problem is that the  "official" documents are out of date and/or inaccurate.

    Just referring to your summary, perhaps you didn't recognize one of its consequents:

        hasSex  type  Property    implies    Property  subClassOf  Class

  I believe you mean:

    eg:hasSex rdf:type rdf:Property.
  implies
    rdf:Property rdf:type rdfs:Class.

  I wrote that rdf:Property and rdfs:Class are instances of rdfs:Class.
    I(rdf:Property) is in ICEXT(I(rdfs:Class))
    I(rdfs:Class) is in ICEXT(I(rdfs:Class))

  This is not the same as saying they are subclasses of rdfs:Class.
    ICEXT(I(rdf:Property)) subset of ICEXT(I(rdfs:Class))  # probably not true
    ICEXT(I(rdfs:Class)) subset of ICEXT(I(rdfs:Class))

  As it happens rdfs:Class is a subclass of rdfs:Class, but nothing in RDFS suggests that rdf:Property is a subclass of rdfs:Class.

  If you're seeing something in what I wrote that implies that rdf:Property is a subclass of rdfs:Class, please point it out to me.

--
Dave Menendez - zednenem@psualum.com - http://www.eyrie.org/~zednenem/