RE: N3 and N-Triples (was: RDF in HTML: Approaches)

At 01:18 PM 6/6/02 +0100, Andy Seaborne wrote:
> > the model theory is quite clear that
> > bnodes are not identified with anything outside the graph in which
>they
> > appear
>
>This is the key to me.  My understanding os the scope of the graph is
>limited.

If you mean that the graph defines a limited scope for a bnode, yes I agree.

(I'm not sure what it means to say the scope of a graph.)

>If I have an in-memory graph, and I write it to a serialized form then
>read it in again (same machine or different machine, same process,
>different process), why do I get a different set of bNodes?  I guess
>this is asking whether the graph-in-the-file is the same
>graph-in-the-memory.  Never did understand this.

I guess that is the question:  are they truly the same graph, or are they
two graphs that happen (at some time) to be isomorphic?  A couple of ways
of thinking about this occur to me:

(a) model theory:  can the different presentations be simultaneously
contemplated under different interpretations?   If so, I'd suggest they are
different.

(b) mutation:  if one of the presentations is updated, does that update
propagate to the other presentation?  If not, they are different.

>It is a real nuisance when using RDF graph over the network where the
>application is using a graph on a different machine.  They are talking
>about the same graph.  But they can't.  Unless I use language dependent
>RPC!

Well, a graph is just syntax - a description of some presumed reality.  Do
they describe the same reality?  Do they mutually entail?  That's what
ultimately matters, I think.

Having different bnodes in different graph instances in no way weakens
mutual entailment between two graphs:  if the graphs are otherwise
identical, the interpretations that satisfy one are exactly the
interpretations that satisfy the other.

> > if you start introducing identifiers that describe bNodes from
> > "outside", you (a) need to have a way of scoping them to a particular
>graph
> > instance, or (b) be very sure that they are unique.
>
>Both (a) and (b) could be done as backwards compatable RDF syntax but it
>is a change to the syntax.  e.g. for (b) a syntax that is "bnode@<uuid>"
>This is not pretending to be a URI - the space of URIs and this space
>are disjoint.  It is just a syntactic labelling of variables for the
>purposes of serialization.

Sure... I wasn't suggesting this be done, just trying to explain why
introducing such external identifiers was problematic.

> > "minimal identifying description" (MID)
>
>Seems fine but lets go the whole way and have the URI for a node as a
>property as a MID :-)

This takes us into the whole Skolemization debate, which others explain far
better than I.  E.g. discussions of Skolemization in
http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-mt/.  Note how carefully the Skolemization lemma
has to be stated to be logically valid.

>When processing the RDF I find that strictly I need to handle bNodes
>with isomorphism tests in the absense of the such MIDs.  Labelled nodes
>have an MID called their URI.

The problem here is that two isomorphic graphs containing bnodes just do
not (in general) contain the information that corresponding bnodes denote
the same value.  Adding URIs to the bnodes in graph imposes such a result.

I don't think we're going to make a lot more progress on this debate
without being more specific about exactly what it is that you want to achieve.

#g
--

PS:  one possible "out" occurs to me:  if graphs themselves are considered
resources that can be labelled with URIs (e.g. like formulae in N3), then

The prime difficulty with this that I see is how to account for two graph
presentations with the same URI that are not isomorphic:  reject it as
nonsense (unsatisfiable)?  introduce a more subtle account of how
presentations relate to the underlying graph (but how then to determine
isomorphism)?  I think there could be a rathole here.

Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>