Re: N3 and N-Triples (was: RDF in HTML: Approaches)

On 2002-06-03 19:42, "ext Aaron Swartz" <me@aaronsw.com> wrote:

> On Monday, June 3, 2002, at 01:41  AM, Patrick Stickler wrote:
>> I would, thus, not like to see any N3 or NTriples used as primary
>> representations for RDF that are interchanged by real systems.
>> N3 and NTriples are not standard encodings for interchange. RDF/XML
>> is. And that's what folks should be using in a global context.
>
> Ugh, what FUD. N-Triples is the only decent standardized interchange
> format for RDF. RDF/XML is both difficult for machines to parse and for
> humans to write. N-Triples at least gets one side of the equation right
> (N3 gets the other).
>
> Perhaps we will be more "interoperable" if we stick with RDF/XML, but I
> think that's rather meaningless since it will only be adopted by the
> tiny community we already have. If we want more people to adopt RDF
> we're going to have accept that the old syntax is flawed and move on.
>
> --
> Aaron Swartz [http://www.aaronsw.com]

Tut, tut, Aaron. No FUD whatsoever.

Moving on means changing the standards -- or withdrawing from a global
community of standardized interchange.

I'm very sympathetic to the shortcomings of RDF/XML and the need for
easier/better serializations of RDF knowledge -- but *NOT* at the
expense of standardized, global interchange of knowledge between
disparate systems.

That's the whole point of standards. You seem to be suggesting that
we just ignore the standards and do things as we see best.

If N3 or NTriples are adopted as *official*, *standard* serializations
for RDF interchange, great!

But until they are, I am strongly opposed to seeing them (mis)used
in place of RDF/XML for global interchange.

Cheers,

Patrick