Re: Input sought on datatyping tradeoff

From: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Subject: Re: Input sought on datatyping tradeoff
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 10:52:36 +0100

> At 09:23 12/07/2002 -0400, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> [...]
>

> >Well, for example, how would this all impact a query system for RDF?  How
> >would it impact an extension to RDF, like OWL, that has a stronger notion
> >of equality than RDF does?
>
> I'm hoping we might get some help understanding those implications as a
> result of this request for input.  How do you think OWL might be affected?

Well if literals represent `strings', then the simple idiom is likely to be
almost completely useless in OWL.  Other than that I haven't thought
through the tidy solution, as it is quite different from what I am used to.
For example, it allows blank nodes to denote datatype values, leading to a
partial conflation of the object domain and the datatype domain, potentially
increasing the difficulty of reasoning.

[...]

> >  but the basic idea is quite simple, requiring that all literals
> >in RDF graphs be types,
>
> you mean "typed" - yes?

Yes.

[...]