Re: RDF RSS sitemaps [Re: Survey of RDF data on the Web]

From: "Chris Croome" <chris@webarchitects.co.uk>

> I've been thinking about this as well -- I generally put metadata for
> web pages in an associated DC RDF file and link to it using <link
> rel="meta" .../>, one RDF file per XHTML document.
>
> This is fine if you are happy finding all the RDF files via XHTML pages

Which of course we are not.

> but in order to enable access to all the RDF files directly I was
> thinking that perhaps a RSS 1.0 sitemap listing all the RDF files for a
> site might be a good thing.
>
> If RSS is used nothing new is needed, something like this would do:
>
>   http://mkdoc.com/rss100sitemap.rdf
>
> But with the items pointing to the RDF files and perhaps with the
> addition of a <dc:format> for the mimetype.

Good idea, this works for me too :)

However it is a bit indirect for identifying a resource which is readable as
a semantic web document:

1) First you need to visit the node of the subject Resource
2) Then you need to check that the value of dc:format is
"application/rss+xml" or "application/rdf+xml".  Also alternate formats like
N3 and Quads that don't have registered media types are left hanging.

In my application that extra time to locate this potential information would
probably be prohibitive.  I like to put a ~read~> button beside the link to
any resource which I can read into my sailor agent (see screen shot).  Maybe
we could use a new property ... call it semref .  We would use this property
to point out a resource that we can read like RDF.  This proerty would be to
semantic web documenta as <a  href> was to HTML documents.  Such a property
would also provide a direct path for spiders looking for semantic web
metadata files ... much more efficient and reliable than seeAlso.

Seth Russell

language: semenglish

semref
    type  Property;
    domain  Resource;
    range  Semdocs;
    subPropertyOf  seeAlso;
    comments  "Indicates a semdoc that is related to the subject resource."
;
    isDefinedBy [
        semref <http://robustai.net/sailor/sailorOntology.quads>;
        seeAlso (sailor agents)