Re: Do these folks know about RDF?

Sampo Syreeni wrote:

> On Fri, 25 May 2001, Sean B. Palmer wrote:
>
> >> I think that sort of thing qualifies as Them, so in fact
> >> they *are* in control.
> >
> >But these kind of "standards" will no longer be necessary with the
> >Semantic Web. This particular endeavour is looking to produce a
> >standard, so for example, all database entires under "Amino_Acid" will
> >mean a certain standard thing.
>
> I understand -- and appreciate -- the idea. I probably wouldn't be on the
> list if I didn't. But in the short term, in the absence of inference, I
> still think these Big Guy standards will reign.
>
> Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy, mailto:decoy@iki.fi, gsm: +358-50-5756111
> student/math+cs/helsinki university, http://www.iki.fi/~decoy/front

In life depending applications I would definitely prefer that
"Amino_Acid" means what it should mean, probably defined and
standartized by experts. It could be extermely dangerous if every
system/person put whatever
it/he/she wants under the names of commonly known notions.And this
nothing to do with  presence or absence of any
kind of inference. To be useful and not potentially dangerous, the
language
should assume the standard and commonly accepted meaning of, at least,
primary and most important  notions it uses.

Sincerely,
Alexei Lisitsa