Re: naive question

Charles,

Actually following your suggestion I will address the statement
    <s:Creator>tmhead</s:creator>
Not the "tmhead" itself.

OK, you can suggest that I can address the string "tmhead",
which is a text() child of <s:Creator>.
It will not work either. Lets look at a little bit more elaborate example:

<rdf:Description about="http://www.nnn.com/tmdoc1">
    <s:Creator>tmhead1</s:Creator>
    <s:Creator>tmhead2</s:Creator>
</rdf:Description>
<rdf:Description about="http://www.nnn.com/tmdoc2">
    <s:Creator>tmhead1</s:Creator>
    <s:Creator>tmhead3</s:Creator>
</rdf:Description>

Now there are two problems.
1)Using XPath (XPointer) you almost could say
    <<give me text content of  first <s:Creator> property
    of <rdf:Description> whose @about="http://www.nnn.com/tmdoc1"...>>
    But wait!
    Content of <rdf:Description> is a <rdf:bag>, so you can not rely
    on the order of elements!
    Then you can say

    <<give me text content of  <s:Creator> property with value "tmhead1"
    of <rdf:Description> whose @about="http://www.nnn.com/tmdoc1"...>>
    This is kind of weird... I can give a couple of other suggestions,
neither one better...

2)Lets say we managed to find a nice way to a address
 "tmhead1" in the first <rdf:Description> in the example above.
  Then it seams that
<rdf:Description about="a-address">
   <s:age>77</s:age>
   <s:hobby>scuba</s:hobby>
</rdf:Description>
will express information only about
"tmhead1" in the first <rdf:Description> in the context of example above.
not about "tmhead1" in general.

I am sure there should be a simple solution.

Thanks,

--Nikita.

> On Wed, 23 May 2001, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
> Hmm. As far as I can tell you want to be able to point to the bit
>
>   <s:Creator>tmhead</s:creator>
>
> and then you can make statements about that URI. Xpointer does this.
>
> Then what you really want is a fragment mechanism that tells you what the
> context of that thing is.
>
> Chaals
>
> On Wed, 23 May 2001, Nikita Ogievetsky wrote:
>
>   Please excuse me this naive question.
>   1)
>   Lets say somewhere in a document "A" I have a statement:
>
>     <rdf:Description about="http://www.nnn.com/tmdoc">
>       <s:Creator resource="http://www.nnn.com/tmhead">
>     </rdf:Description>
>
>   In order to express additional info about the guy addressed by
"s:Creator"
>   property (identified by resource "http://www.w3.org/Home/tmhead")
>   I can write something like:
>
>     <rdf:Description about="http://www.nnn.com/tmhead">
>       <s:age>77</s:age>
>       <s:hobby>scuba</s:hobby>
>     </rdf:Description>
>   2)
>   Suppose that I have somewhere instead:
>     <rdf:Description about="http://www.nnn.com/tmdoc">
>       <s:Creator>tmhead</s:Creator>
>     </rdf:Description>
>
>   What is the STANDARD way in RDF to supply information
>   about this guy "tmhead" who is "s:Creator" of the resource without
modifying
>   original statement?
>   (i.e. reify?)
>
>   This must be a very naive question, but I just could not figure it out.
>
>   Thanks,
>
>   Nikita.

>   Nikita Ogievetsky                  Cogitech Inc
>   nogievet@cogx.com   --   (917) 406-8734
>   http://www.cogx.com     Cogito Ergo XML
>

> --
> Charles McCathieNevile    http://www.w3.org/People/Charles  phone: +61 409
134 136
> W3C Web Accessibility Initiative     http://www.w3.org/WAI    fax: +1 617
258 5999
> Location: 21 Mitchell street FOOTSCRAY Vic 3011, Australia
> (or W3C INRIA, Route des Lucioles, BP 93, 06902 Sophia Antipolis Cedex,
France)