Re: Decentralized RDF Distribution

As a practical means of trying to handle these sorts of problems, we
have been modelling events as first class objects in RDF, so that all
information is explicitly contextualized by time (and source) within the
RDF model, and the information modelled is as unchanging as we can make
it.

e.g. instead of having an annotation object, we have an annotation event
with an input of one webpage and an output of another. The event has an
agent (a person) and a context (time) associated with it. The annotation
event at that time and place by that person is unchanging, even if
further annotations are made by the same person to the same input
document.

This approach means that we can be sure that the resources (events)
modelled are unchanging (they have already happened), although the
things they describe may change and there may be new information about
them at a later date, and the event may be superceded by more up-to-date
or accurate events.

This doesn't mean that we can assume a closed world, though.

Some of this work is half written up at

http://www.ilrt.bris.ac.uk/discovery/2001/02/imeshdb/

It's based on Dan Brickley's ABC work:

http://www.ilrt.bris.ac.uk/discovery/harmony/docs/abc/abc_draft.html