RE: good elevator pitch for Semantic Web

I am not convinced of the value of the scientific american article as an
*elevator pitch*.

It goes a little too much into the future to be convincing in five minutes.
Remember this  executive is probably distracted because of the consequences
of the US economic situation.

I think an elevator pitch should be focused on goals that feel closer in,
and really of the just-do-it, gung ho, variety. The "machine readable web"
story (which is there in the article) is the core of that preferred five
minute pitch. I would tend to ground the discussion in well-known
old-fashioned things, like databases and zip codes, rather than grounding in
futuristic stuff, like intelligent agents; these agents makes good
journalism but not necessarily good business.

Yes everything I would like is in the article, but there's lots of extra
stuff too that doesn't fit in the five minutes.

The semantic web is cool and exciting, but put it in some dull boring
clothes for some audiences.

A different approach, which really is more convincing than going straight to
the executives, is to convince the engineers first. When a variety of
different projects are finding RDF and semantic web approaches relevant in
lots of different ways then executive enthusiasm will follow.

Jeremy