Re: RDF in XHTML

Seth Russell wrote:

> > I've already received some early versions of an XHTML/DC module from Sean,
> > so hopefully I'll be able to work with him over the next week or so to
> > provide a first cut at this. It shouldn't be too difficult, I hope. From
> > this we can come up with a best practices document. I'd likewise love to
> > see DC content in XHTML, perhaps one of the first benefits of both DC
> > and XHTML m12n to impact the greater web community.
>
> Boy, I hope we don't solve this problem only for DC and think we have
> accomplished anything.

You can take that attitude toward the work if you like. I have no desire
to conquer Everest (tried that, a big headache) or cure cancer, just
allow DC content in XHTML documents. If by "anything" we've allowed XHTML
documents to contain DC metadata, there seems to be a lot of people (Dan
Brickley's message of earlier today for one) who find value in that.

I have little belief that a general RDF-in-XHTML solution is necessary
or even a good idea, and the discussions I've heard here have not
convinced me otherwise. Applications of RDF can be dealt with on an
ad hoc basis. Criticisms of XHTML for not being able to XML-validate
inclusions of any well-formed markup are out of order, insofar as *no*
XML markup language can do that. It's as I've said a non-sequitor. The
only solution possible would be to CDATA section the whole thing, but
then XML processors would treat it as CDATA rather than something with
a notation of RDF. This would not be useful. External links to RDF is
the only other way, which is certainly possible but less than optimal.

Murray

Murray Altheim                            <mailto:altheim&#x40;eng.sun.com>
XML Technology Center
Sun Microsystems, Inc., MS MPK17-102, 1601 Willow Rd., Menlo Park, CA 94025

      In the evening
      The rice leaves in the garden
      Rustle in the autumn wind
      That blows through my reed hut.  -- Minamoto no Tsunenobu