RE: abstract model

I've reorderd stuff in this response from the original:

> I'm not sure why you feel you need the _mapping_ between
> statements and
> reifications.

OK.  Maybe I don't - I'm not sure at the moment.  Its 2.45am
here - I'm trying to open the control panel to adjust my
body clock - but the damn thing is stuck.

I used the notion of a mapping because I felt it gave a clean
explanation of what I had in mind.  I didn't feel it was
introducing a new concept incompatible with m&s.  For me
the mapping is just a convenient device to explain what
is going on.  Obviously this is not the case for all.  I feel
that this is something we can come back to if these ideas
ever begin to make it beyond this discussion.  An issue to
revisit.

> Consider, if you have an RDF model (per M&S section 5 formal
> model) containing:
>
>    [A] --type------> [Statement]
>    [A] --subject---> [S]
>    [A] --property--> [P]
>    [A] --object----> [O]
>
>    [B] --type------> [Statement]
>    [B] --subject---> [S]
>    [B] --property--> [P]
>    [B] --object----> [O]
>
>    [S] --P---------> [O]
>
> There is no way to know if [A] or [B] is the reification of
> "[S] --P--> [O]".

This is a really interesting question.  I had written earlier
that there is a unique resource that represents the reification
of a statement.  Back to that decision in a minute.

In a sytem where the reification of a statement in unique, then
[A] and [B] above denote the same resource.  What if we gave them
URI's that are different?  No matter, both URI's denote the same
resource, assuming that a resource can have more than one URI.
If you say that a resource has only one URI, then you would have
an invalid model.

Earlier, I mention identifying properties, i.e. a property which
is defined to have a unique value for each resource.  What happens
if we add an identifying property to [A] and [B] above but with
different values.  Then again, we have an invalid model - i.e. a
 model that is consistent with the base RDF abstract model, but
violates other constraints.  Clearly such models could be created
without using reification.

I do think there is a choice about the uniqueness of a reifed
statement.  And right now, I don't have an argument to support
the choice of it being unique.  What I had in mind at the time
was that statements form a set, something I don't think, Graham,
if recall correctly, you agree with.  So that might be a root
of any differences in our understanding here.

> It seems plausible to me.  My only reservation is that it
> introduces a new
> type of symbol into the formal model (anon:S doesn't really
> work as a URI,
> I think).  But I think that may be handled in other ways
> while retaining
> your basic approach to partial reification.

Absolutely.  anon:S is not a URI, and it might well be better
to adopt a different syntax to make that clear.

Yes anon:S is a new type of symbol not in the original m&s
formal model.  I never said the formal model shouldn't change.
Clearly what I have suggested is different.  The issue is what
sort of changes are we allowing.  I was trying for something
that can be loosely described as a refinement - i.e. selecting
one of serveral possible interpretations of the original.
Expressing that interpretation does require introducing
new notation and terminology.

Brian