Re: definition of domain

From: Tom Van Eetvelde <tom.van_eetvelde@alcatel.be>
Subject: Re: definition of domain
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 16:24:59 +0200

> Hello Pierre-Antoine,
>
> One of the applications I was thinking about is defaulting properties: see WAP GSM example in mail to Jeen. I would like to attach a type to some resource and let the system immedialtey fill in some of
> the properties of the resource: if man A is chineese, then he is a person with yellow skin colour. If this is what you mean with prototyping, then yes, I see some classes as prototypes.
>
> Regards,
>
> Tom.

Do you mean default here?  That is, it is possible that A might not have
yellow skin colour.  If so, then there are LOTS of problems.  (Think of
people who are multi-racial.)  If not, then you are not talking about
defaults, but instead known values or fillers.  There are lots of solutions
to fillers that clearly make the distinction between properties of
individuals and properties of classes.

Peter Patel-Schneider