RE: Circular references in RDF data model

There is in general no prohibition as you suggest, so in theory
the same resource can be the subject and object of a statement,
an even also the predicate.

I have built two RDF implementations and haven't yet found this
to be a problem.

There are some restrictions on the creation of loops in rdf schema.
The subClassOf and subPropertyOf properties are constrained to
not form loops - so a class can not be a subClass of itself.  It
has been suggested that these restrictions be lifted, but they are
in the current spec.

Brian McBride
HPLabs