Re: RDF API convergence? was Re: ANNOUNCE: RDF.NET

Dan Brickley wrote:

> In the light of this and other implementation activities
> recently announced on www-rdf-interest, I reckon the time is fast
> approaching that we lock various RDF API implementors in a room and
> only let them out when there's a common strawman API.

I think any discussion of a common API should begin with a clear (almost
mathematical) understanding of what interoperable means.   Doesn't  interoperable
imply the following?

Two RDF APIs are considered interoperable whenever:
1) System A writes statements in RDF
2) System B reads the statements from (1) and stores them in triples
3) System B writes the resultant triples from (1) back out in RDF
4) System A reads the statements from (3)
5) The triples in system A remain the same.

Can anyone state that more precisely?  Does such a definition already exist, and
if not, wouldn't it be a good idea for us to decide upon a standard test of
interoperability?

<signature format="mime/topic">
topic: Seth Russell
email: seth@robustai.net