Re: rdf in practice

"Weiss-Lijn, Mischa" <Mischa.Weiss-Lijn@ptp.sira.co.uk> wrote:

> I don't see how these tools can be practically used with RDF.
> RDF can not be mixed with non-RDF XML, which makes it
> very hard to use XSLT to manipulate XML content according
> to the metadata it is associated to.

 In XSL, you can use the document() function to access multiple documents at
the same time. So you could have your RDF data in one document and the
resources it is describing in another (or many others).  The URIs used must
be able to point to the particular elements, e.g. using id(xxx) and XPtr.

How do you create the RDF document in the first place?  I have a tool due
for release next week called Schematron-rdf which can find arbitrary
patterns in a document and generate an RDF XML document linking to those
places. (It is really just a simple front-end to XSL which exposes as much
of XPath as possible and hides as much of XSL as possible.)  The beta is at:
http://www.ascc.net/xml/resource/schematron/schematron-rdf.html and the
general home page at
http://www.ascc.net/xml/resource/schematron/schematron.html

Rick Jelliffe