Re: rdf in practice

"Weiss-Lijn, Mischa" <Mischa.Weiss-Lijn@ptp.sira.co.uk> wrote:

> RDF can not be mixed with non-RDF XML, which makes it
> very hard to use XSLT to manipulate XML content according
> to the metadata it is associated to.

Should I read "mixed with" as "bound to"?  RDF can certainly be mixed with
well-formed namespace qualified XML, but your comment about XSLT suggests
that you are not talking about syntax but rather about binding RDF
statements to XML tree elements for easy manipulation.

I'm no XSLT expert: does it not have expressions for binding through ID and
IDREF?  For example, if I have this XML:

<doc xmlns="example/">
	<rdf:RDF xmlns:rdf="..." xmlns:meta="metadata/">
		<rdf:Description about="#1234" .../>
	</rdf:RDF>
</doc>

can I not learn that the RDF statements about "#1234" refer to the paragraph
element with that ID?

Rick Jelliffe wrote:
>(It is really just a simple front-end to XSL which exposes as much
> of XPath as possible and hides as much of XSL as possible.)

Interesting.  I've been experimenting with the idea of mapping RDF models
(triples) into normalized trees, and then using XPath as the basis of a
simple assertion and query expression language over the model.  This has
been suprisingly successful for simple metadata.

Schematron looks like a great alternative to DTD and XSchema!

Perry