Re: review of July 15 draft of RDF Semantics document

>From: pat hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>
>Subject: Re: review of July 15 draft of RDF Semantics document
>Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 02:31:46 -0500
>
>[...]
>
>>  >>  >Silliness:
>>  >>  >
>>  >>  >rdf-interpretations do not just ``impose extra semantic
>>conditions on crdfV
>>  >>  >and typed literals with the type rdf:XMLLiteral''.  Why not
>>just say that
>>  >>  >rdf-interpretations impose extra semantic conditions?
>>  >>
>>  >>  Because this draws attention to the fact that they do not impose any
>>  >>  extra conditions on the rest of the RDF vocabulary.
>>  >
>>  >Well, sort of, but I consider the use of crdfV misleading.
>>
>>  Im afraid I disagree.
>>
>>  >It is true that there are rdf-interpretations that do not impose conditions
>>  >on (the denotation of) rdf:subject.  However, any rdf-interpretation that
>>  >includes rdf:subject in its vocabulary does impose conditions on (the
>>  >denotation of) rdf:subject.
>>
>>  Only those which arise from its being a simple
>>  interpretation. The text uses the word "extra
>>  semantic conditions" to indicate this distinction.
>
>Huh?  One of the RDF axiomatic triples is
>	rdf:subject rdf:type rdf:Property .
>Doesn't this impose an ``extra semantic condition'' on rdf-interpretations
>that is on something outside the central RDF vocabulary?

You could say that, indeed. Let me rephrase the remark: they do not
impose any extra semantic conditions *which cannot be expressed in
RDF itself* on the rest of the RDF vocabulary.

Pat

IHMC	(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.	(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501			(850)291 0667    cell