Re: pfps-05 RDFS closure rules

From: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Subject: Re: pfps-05 RDFS closure rules
Date: 28 Jul 2003 17:37:07 +0100

> On Mon, 2003-07-28 at 16:58, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > Unfortunately, this document still has problems with the RDF and RDFS
> > entailment rules.  The problems are less critical because the status of the
> > RDFS entailment rules have been further downgraded.
> >
> > Currently the document states ``This terminology is agnostic as to whether
> > XML data is considered to be identical to a character string''  (Section
> > 3).  It also states that ``The document also describes complete sets of
> > inference rules corresponding to the semantics de[s]cribed in the text''
> > (Section 0.1).
> >
> > These two statements are mutually inconsistent.  Because of the rigid
> > nature of untyped literals and XML literals in rdf-interpretations, a
> > complete set of inference rules for rdf-interpretations will of necessity
> > determine whether an RDF XML literal is a string or not.
>
> Oops - sorry Peter, I should have updated the ED's draft.  Now done:
>
> http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/RDFCore/TR/WD-rdf-mt-20030117/
>
> The text concerning the denotation of XML literals has been modified and
> I believe should address your concern.
>
> Are we done on this one?
>
> Brian

No.

I recently reviewed a version of this document and found a lot of problems.
The current version has remaining problems, including incorrect pointers
and an incomplete change list.  I'm not prepared to yet again review the
document until a version with correct pointers and a change list from the
version that I recently reviewed is available.

Peter F. Patel-Schneider
Bell Labs Research
Lucent Technologies