Re: pfps-06

From: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Subject: pfps-06
Date: 21 Jul 2003 14:28:58 +0100

> Peter,
>
> with reference to your comment recorded as
>
>   http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/RDFCore/20030123-issues/#pfps-06
>
> the RDFCore WG has resolved to accept this comment.
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2003Jul/0236.html
>
> As you know, there have been extensive modifications to the description of
> the datatyping semantics since your comment was written
>
> The current editor's draft, which is stable enough to review,
>
> http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/RDFCore/TR/WD-rdf-mt-20030117/
>
> now contains an account of datatyping and XML literals which treats
> XML literals uniformly with other typed literals and is more explicit
> about the exact status of LV.
>
> Please reply to this message, copying www-rdf-comments@w3.org,
> indicating whether this response adequately addresses your comment.
>
> Brian

The document is internally inconsistent on the treatment of XML Literals.

The change list in the document Semantics says that XML literals ``are now
required to be in canonical form and therefore to denote their own literal
string.''  This appears to mean that XML literals are just a subset of
character strings.  This is completely counter to what is said in RDF
Concepts, at least the version pointed to from the document.

However, Section 3 of the document Semantics has no mention of the fact
that XML literals denote themselves.  It also says that is ``is
deliberately agnostic as to whether or not XML data is considered to be
identical to a character string'', which is in direct contradiction to the
wording in the change list.

So, I do not feel that my concerns in this area have been adequately
addressed.

Peter F. Patel-Schneider