Re: status of rdf, rdfs, and owl ``namespace files''

From: Dave Beckett <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: status of rdf, rdfs, and owl ``namespace files''
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 12:40:17 +0000

> > My comments do not address this issue at all.  I was inquiring as to what
> > status the contents of these files have.
>
> I'm sorry but I don't see your inquiry in the www-rdf-comments
> archive under this thread.  Maybe I missed it or you are bringing
> this thread in from somewhere else?  I copied you in my reply to Nick
> since he CC:ed you in Nick's original message:
>   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-comments/2003JanMar/0490.html

Well, you have to go back quite a ways, but here is the message.

peter

Subject: status of RDF, RDFS, and OWL ``namespace files''
From: Peter F. Patel-Schneider <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>
To: www-rdf-comments@w3.org, www-webont-wg@w3.org
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2003 22:30:18 -0500 (EST)

Hi:

What is the status of
	http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns
	http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema
Are they normative parts of the RDF specifications?  I don't see how, because

1/ Neither of them are valid in the RDF Model Theory or the RDFS model theory.

2/ http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns
   does not have elements that correspond to all the elements of the RDF
   namespace.

If they are not normative, what is their status?

One reason that I ask is that WebOnt has a similar sort of document
	http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl
with some of the same problems, but because of owl:imports the actual
contents of the document matters more.

In fact, owl:imports makes the contents of
	http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns
	http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema
matter more.

Peter F. Patel-Schneider