Re: [closed] pfps-14 "Social Meaning and RDF"

"Peter F. Patel-Schneider" wrote:

> There is also Section 2.2 of the RDF Primer that I already have pointed out
> in one of the email messages that gave rise to this comment.  I do not
> believe that any changes have been suggested for this section.

Peter--

The general nature of the change I intended (and still intend) to make
in Section 2.2 of the Primer was discussed in the original thread that
gave rise to this issue, and hasn't changed;  see, e.g., message
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-comments/2003JanMar/0273.html

One way of making the necessary distinction that occurred to me was to
point out that a human might read a lot of meaning into triples such as

ex:index.html  dc:creator  exstaff:85740

because there seem to be words in there, but as far as a machine is
concerned, what it sees might as well be something like

fy:joefy.iunm  ed:dsfbups  fytubgg:85740

and any English text describing the meaning of dc:creator found at the
Dublin Core site also provides no additional meaning as far as the
machine is concerned.  Any meaning beyond this being an RDF triple with
the indicated components (and any meaning of the graph in which this
triple appears beyond that specified by RDF Semantics) is "social
meaning" of a sort, and would be based on extra-RDF mechanisms.

--Frank