Re: Datatyping

Patrick Stickler wrote:

>>Why does the MT *need* to make the triple drawn to the LexicalNode
>>invalid in prescence of a range constraint ?
>>

>Because the range assertion says that the object of the property
>is a member of the particular class, and in the case of a datatype
>class, its RDF Class extension is the value space. And a lexical
>node is not a datatype value, but a string.

It seems to me that the MT's range entailments cannot be applied to
LexicalNodes at all.   This is because however hard we try we simply
could not draw  the arrow {uuu [rdfs:type]  zzz }  as prescribed by the
entailment rule [rdfs3] in the case where uuu is a LexicalNode.    Since
we cannot draw an arrow from a LexicalNode, I propose to change [rdfs3]
to exclude such an erronous entailment .... something like I have
depicted in my new diagram [3].

[3] http://robustai.net/mentography/jenny_mt_rdfs3.jpg

I think this works if  you'all consider a LexicalNode not to be or
rdf:type rdfs:Resource.   Do you?   ... and could the MT be changed as I
propose?  ... and would that solve your concern above?

.... and thanks for your comments in my blog :-) .

Seth Russell
http://radio.weblogs.com/0113759/