Re: Datatyping

[Patrick Stickler, Nokia/Finland, (+358 40) 801 9690, patrick.stickler@nokia.com]

----- Original Message -----
From: "ext Seth Russell" <seth@robustai.net>
To: <www-rdf-comments@w3.org>
Sent: 24 September, 2002 15:43
Subject: Datatyping

> Since the WG apparently will be putting thinking caps back on regarding
> datatyping,

Well, I think you may be reading a bit too much into some recent
comments on the rdf-core list. The W3C has a pretty clear process
defined and I'm sure the WG will follow it.

Still, one significant question regarding your proposal: What if
one defines the range of the age property to be an integer. E.g.

   :age rdfs:range xsd:integer .

The triple having the lexical node will then not be valid. If you
said instead

   :age rdfs:range xsd:string .

then the triple having the typed node would not be valid.

One of the key desiderada that has been at the forefront of the
datatyping discussions is the compatability between local and
global forms of expression (or explicit and implicit forms
of expression) and global range assertions.

I'm presuming here that you intend lexical nodes to be self-denoting.

Cheers,

Patrick