Re: RDFCore WG: Datatyping documents

Patrick Stickler wrote:

> If the qname used in the RDF/XML
> serialization always resulted in the correct URI in the RDF graph,
> in a context where the qname is not being interpreted by an XML
> Schema application, would that be OK?

If that means either creating a new URI which starts with
http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema _for any purpose_ including as a namespace
name, and not documenting this in XML Schema, or binding the prefix "xsd" to
other than http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema , then no.

Again, would you object if I were to redefine the usage of rdf:about etc.
("rdf" bound to the RDF namespace) and widely distribute software, with a
small disclaimer at the bottom "this close to RDF"? Perhaps acceptable to
the RDFIG in a strawman situation, but don't unleash this upon masses of
unsuspecting web developers who will simply get confused.

> Note that, because of the nature of the RDF/XML content model
> (or lack thereof ;-) you cannot validate an RDF instance according
> to a DTD or XML Schema very easily, and I don't believe it was
> ever expected that RDF instances would be tested for anything other
> than well-formedness except by an RDF specific parser.

Actually a RELAXNG grammer can.

> ... it seems that we
> actually can find a reasonable way to use both RDF and XML Schema
> datatypes, and it would be great to do so, while we work on fixing
> all that other stuff.
>
> It's kind of a crawl, walk, run progression...

When you issue a W3C recommendation, it becomes hardwired as a compatibility
issue for as long at the web as we know it exists. Do it correctly. Make it
something you will be proud to have your name on.

Jonathan