Re: need to determine what RDF is

>On 30 May 2002, Dan Connolly wrote:
>
>>  On Thu, 2002-05-30 at 11:10, patrick hayes wrote:
>>  > >On Thu, 2002-05-30 at 10:26, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
>>  > >[...]
>>  > >>  I'm only interested in relationships between RDF graphs.  Which such
>>  > >>  relationships are RDF relationships?
>>  > >>
>>  > >>  My view is that the only such relationships are RDF
>>entailment and RDFS
>>  > >>  entailment.  Any agent that computes any other relationship
>>between RDF
>>  > >>  graphs is not doing RDF.
>>  > >
>>  > >Why is RDFS special? It's just the first of many RDF vocabularies,
>>  > >no?
>>  >
>>  > Its more than just an RDF vocabulary because it has some extra
>>  > semantic conditions.
>>
>>  That doesn't look special, to me; I expect each vocabulary
>>  to come with some extra semantic conditions.
>
>Quite. For eg., there are semantic conditions associated with the Web
>resource named http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/mbox which are partially but not
>completely captured by the observation that it is an unambiguous property.

Where is that specified in the RDF in that document?

>Re 'not completely':
>Web onto languages don't currently give me a way of expressing that it is
>what we might call a _static_ unambiguous property; assigning different
>values to it on different days is in contravention of that rdf property's
>meaning. Well it would be if I'd finished writing that up in prose as part
>of the rdf/xml or HTML doc at the namespace. Even though WebOnt doesn't
>let me write this machine-readibly, it is still a semantic condition
>associated with the property.

I disagree. As far as being part of the meaning of the RDF, what you
write in English is  irrelevant. If you want that to be in the RDF,
you have to write it *in RDF*. You can't write unambiguous property
in RDF, so its not in there. (It is if that web site is written in
DAML, but you didn't say that. )

Pat
IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes