Re: need to determine what RDF is

>From: "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>
>
>>  Suppose an agent is given
>>
>>    <ex:Student> <rdfs:subClassOf> <ex:Person> .
>>    <ex:John> <rdf:type> <ex:Student> .
>>    <rdfs:subClassOf> <rdf:type> <rdf:Property> .
>>    <rdfs:subClassOf> <rdfs:domain> <rdfs:Class> .
>>    <rdfs:subClassOf> <rdfs:range> <rdfs:Class> .
>>    <rdfs:Class> <rdf:type> <rdfs:Class> .
>>
>>  and responds that it entails
>>
>>    <ex:John> <rdf:type> <ex:Person> .
>>
>>  This agent is not an RDF reasoner (is not doing RDF).  Its reasoning is
>>  unsound in RDF.  The agent may be an RDFS reasoner, but it is not doing
>>  RDF.
>
>I agree, given *only* the assertions in the rdf namespace, there is no way
>that an automated agent *could* arrive at that entailment.  But given the
>logical interpretation of certain rdfs:comments,

WHAT logical interpretation of comments? Those comments are written
in English, not in any formal logic. So until someone comes up with a
model theory for English (and incorporates it into a Web language
spec) they have no logical interpretation. (Isn't this obvious?
That's why we call them 'comments'. If they were comments in a piece
of Java code, nobody would expect the Java VM to be able to read them
and take their meaning into account.)  Bear in mind that this entire
SW game is supposed to be putting stuff on web pages that can be used
by software reasoning agents, not by human readers.

>  it certainly can be
>entailed.   I seems to me that any automated agent that attempts to arrive
>at conclusions about assertions, without knowing any rules that apply to its
>predicate, would always be going beyond the data given.

No, that is precisely what it cannot do. The *automated* agent only
knows the 'rules' that are specified by the formal part of the
language spec and the formal language it can read. Comments are
invisible to it. It *cannot* go beyond the data given.

Pat
IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes