HTTP resources and Resources (was: rdfms-things-described-by-web-pages or something)

On Friday, August 31, 2001, at 10:36  AM, Sandro Hawke wrote:

> RFC 2616 says that HTTP URIs denote "network
> data objects or services" (not people).

Umm, no, I don't think it does. It says that:
    The "http" scheme is used to locate network resources via the HTTP
    protocol.

and that a network resource is:
       A network data object or service that can be identified by
a URI[...]

But I don't think it ever says that these HTTP URIs denote these
network data objects, merely that they are used to locate them
(which sounds pretty reasonable to me).

I agree, it's somewhat annoying that the spec overloads the term
"resource" to mean network objects, as compared to what some
have called the capital-R Resources from the URI spec, but I do
believe that HTTP doesn't go as far as saying that all HTTP URIs
denote such lowercase-r resources.