Re: VCal namespace

On Mon, 2008-12-01 at 19:08 +0100, Peter Mika wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> We just have had a very successful VoCamp [1] behind our back, where we
> started to discuss among others the issue of representing popular
> microformats in RDF. This is a pressing question because large scale
> semantic platforms such as Sindice or Yahoo's SearchMonkey would like to
> treat microformats at the RDF level  and at the scale at which some of
> our systems work there is no possibility for reasoning. Therefore an
> agreement on the mapping is required. It doesn't matter as much what
> this agreement is, as long as it is an agreement ;)
>
> You can see the outcomes of our current effort at [2]. One of the
> problems we spotted was related to VCal. Apparently, there is still
> significant confusion as to what the proper namespace for VCal is and
> unfortunately the spec at [3] leaves the question in limbo, using either
> one or the other namespace at various points.
>
> So my question is: could we deprecate
>
> |http://www.w3.org/2002/12/cal#
>
> |in favor of
>
> http://www.w3.org/2002/12/cal/icaltzd#
>

> and reflecting this change in the documentation at [3] and at [4]?

Sounds reasonable. Do you have details in mind? Could you suggest
patches?

I haven't looked at this stuff for a while; I should review the
reasons why this wasn't done earlier.

I think the last time I collected my thoughts on all this was:

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 01:25:37 -0500
reconsidering timezones in light of hCalendar and CALSIFY
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-calendar/2006Apr/0002.html

I wonder what, if anything, Masahide Kanzaki is currently supporting
in this area. I recall earlier discussion with him about
this namespace...
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-calendar/2004Oct/0004.html

Antoni Mylka wrote up some problems, though I haven't reviewed
them closely.
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-calendar/2007May/0005.html

> Thanks,
> Peter
>

> [1] http://vocamp.org [2] http://semanticweb.org/wiki/Microformats_in_RDF
>
> [3] http://www.w3.org/TR/rdfcal/
>
> [4] http://www.w3.org/2002/12/cal/
gpg D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E