Re: [Ietf-calsify] VTIMEZONE - replacement idea (fwd)

Leo Sauermann wrote:

>> Also in the debate on this list was listing all entries in UTC [...]
>
> [...] I would recommend to always store time in local time format with
> timezone

local to the client or local to the server? Assuming that you mean local
to the client, this simply begs the question as to how one deals with:
* multiple clients in different timezones modifying the same calendar?
* a client, such as a cell phone, which moves between timezones?
Examples use cases provided upon request, there are many - I assume the
reader can provide their own...

> because any UI (cell phone, whatever) then may display it without any
> math.

The math consists of a single lookup and a single addition or
subtraction, or the equivalent of a switch statement based on the
current client timezone... Even cell phones can do that without
difficulty, as can handhelds, etc.

Quite honestly, storing all times in UTC is the simplest solution. It is
well within the extent of client capabilities to translate times from
UTC to the local client setting. Further, this prevents servers from
having to convert timezones for various clients in different timezones,
makes the protocol easier to understand and, lastly, avoids unnecessary
bloat on the wire.

Regards,
Elias