Re: More Work on iCalendar RDF Schema

Aaron Swartz wrote:

> On Thursday, June 21, 2001, at 08:39  PM, Libby Miller wrote:
>
>> some test data is at
>> http://ilrt.org/discovery/2001/06/content/
>

> Aha, now I can comment!
>
> Why THEANNOYINGNAMES? I have difficulty distinguishing between Classes
> and properties, and there is no good reason for keeping them in ALLCAPS.

This is a good question.  What naming convention would suit, though?  I
considered properties like standard java objects (theAnnoyingName), and
classes like standard java classes (TheAnnoyingName), but it didn't seem
much better.

> Why the funky dates? Can't we just use W3CDTF like everyone else?

Hmmm... Perhaps you are right.  I'm sure the simple data-types need some
work.  If someone else has already done that work, surely we should be
using it.  The dates and times we used were based on the XMLSchema
datatypes.

> Why duplicate ical:DESCRIPTION and dc:description ?

Good question.  It's probably not necessary, although to be fair, not
all iCalendar classes take a description, and it is possible to
represent that with domains if we define our own description.  Perhaps
it isn't necessary.

Is there some other way to do this --  i.e. constrain the use of other
namespaces' properties?

> As a test, I tried transcribing
> http://ilrt.org/discovery/2001/06/content/track2.rdf into N3 with the
> simplifications I propose above. Look at how much simpler it is:
>
> @prefix util: <http://ilrt.org/discovery/2001/06/schemas/ical-util#> .
> @prefix foaf: <http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/> .
> @prefix dc: <http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/> .
> @prefix event: <http://test.example.com/events/> .