Re: question :)

> Do you mean 1 - 10 records, or 1-10 Meg?
> 1-10 is trivial and perl will do it fast enough to serve out.

ah, I realized my mistake too late.
it's 1-10+ million rows, not 1-10 :)  I wish...

> There are a lot of free databases out there such as msql,postgres,etc.

yeah, I tried using both.  mSQL is just too limited, the author doesn't
support it really well, doesn't respond to email, and the thing isn't even
free.  I have no problem paying for things, but I don't think mSQL is worth
the money the author wants for it.

postgres95 I have, too, but it sounds pretty scary, hard to maintain and
manage, and from what I read on the mailing list, not very stable, and causing
all kinds of weird things ...

> 	I use illustra here with the C API and it is sufficent here.
> I support multiple databases with 10+ tables and 1000+ records accessible
> from the web. I use the http server for the front end security which
> is in turn controlled by the database. I use transactions to protect

We would need something that would allow users to login to their entries in
the database, change the info in those entries, and logout.

> data during updates, etc. They have a web product -webblade that I find slow
> (compare to the C API) and inflexible.
> It's not free, and the price is going up since Informix bought them. Oracle,
> Sybase, Informix are not cheap but can do the same things.
> postgres is huge and I find difficult to set up and use in a production
> environment. msql is for smaller db, I have not used it myself but my
> co-worker has. Naviserver(http) comes with a limited illustra license
>  and is free.

I've tried using Naviserver (GNN, right ?) but unfortunately it doesn't run on
a BSDI and that is all we have right now.

> The other alternative is to use regular text retrieval tools, such as
> wais, isite, etc, if you don't need to do joins between tables.

I'm afraid text retrieval is not what we need here :(  It needs to be a real
database this time...

Thanks,

Otis