Re: question :)

Do you mean 1 - 10 records, or 1-10 Meg?
1-10 is trivial and perl will do it fast enough to serve out.
There are a lot of free databases out there such as msql,postgres,etc.
	I use illustra here with the C API and it is sufficent here.
I support multiple databases with 10+ tables and 1000+ records accessible
from the web. I use the http server for the front end security which
is in turn controlled by the database. I use transactions to protect
data during updates, etc. They have a web product -webblade that I find slow
(compare to the C API) and inflexible.
It's not free, and the price is going up since Informix bought them. Oracle,
Sybase, Informix are not cheap but can do the same things.
postgres is huge and I find difficult to set up and use in a production
environment. msql is for smaller db, I have not used it myself but my
co-worker has. Naviserver(http) comes with a limited illustra license
 and is free.
The other alternative is to use regular text retrieval tools, such as
wais, isite, etc, if you don't need to do joins between tables.

Phoebe.

--
Software Engineer                       mail: phoebe@ckm.ucsf.edu
UCSF Library & Ctr for Knowledge Mgt   phone: 415/476-3577