Re: Lexical state questions

Eamon O'Tuathail wrote:

> I have a few questions about the lexical states in XQuery, and the use
> of the semi-colon.

I asked some of these questions on the xquery comments list 6 months ago:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xml-query-comments/2002Jan/0002.html
(about 2/3 of the way down). As here, they went unanswered.

For what it's worth, here's what I think.

> 1) The first row in the "TRANSITION STATES" table ("WhitespaceChar
> Nmstart, ... HexDigits S") contains a blank "recognize state" and a
> blank "next state" - is this correct?

No, it isn't. The "recognize state" should be DEFAULT. A blank "next state"
is okay; it appears to be a shorthand for 'the same as the recognize state'
(though it would be nice if the spec said so).

> 2) There are many terminals that are not listed in the table - why? (I
> assume the answer is "because they don't cause transitions", but then
> what is the difference between these and the ones listed in the first
> row in the table?

There is no difference. The missing terminals should appear on the first row
of the table. (Somebody just forgot them, I guess.)

-Michael