RE: report writer for XML

Your "guess" about what is a traditional control break report
is accurate.  There are typically several levels of
control breaks, including one global (grand total) level.
In addition to totals and subtotals other measures are often
desired as well, e.g. average, maximum, etc.
In addition to the logical breaks when a value changes
reports typically also have page headers and footers,
as you mention.

A different but also important style is a "cross tabs" report.
Here both horizontal and vertical axes are used to constrain
the contents of the cells.

Yes, ideally the data is sorted appropriately, and then the
report can be produced efficiently in one pass.

Hopefully helpfully yours,
Steve
--
Steven Tolkin          steve.tolkin@fmr.com      617-563-0516
Fidelity Investments   82 Devonshire St. V1D     Boston MA 02109