RE: XQuery and Unicode

The spec does not say, nor should it do so.  Queries are always in
Unicode, but it is up to the implementation what encodings are allowed.
In X-Hive, we have a Java API that takes the query as a Java String, so
it is always in UTF-16.

About the grammar, I submitted this public comment:

> - The Char production should not specify [#x0020-#xFFFD], but
> [#x0020-#xD7FF] | [#xE000-#xFFFD] | [#x10000-#x10FFFF] as in XML.

and received a positive reply, so I presume it will be changed.

Bas de Bakker
X-Hive Corporation