Re: Schema type info

At 11:33 AM 1/7/2002 -0700, Steve Sullivan wrote:

>Hi,
>The doc "XQuery 1.0: An XML Query Language" states ...
>     "A simple value consists of a value contained in the value space
>     of one of the primitive datatypes described in [XML Schema],
>     together with a reference to a schema component that describes its type."
>     (http://www.w3.org/TR/xquery/#id-basics)
>
>So what's needed is a way to access schema info from the
>DOM parse tree (or from SAX events).
>Yet I find no way of accessing schema-related info from
>Xerces 1 or 2, or DOM level 1, 2, or 3.  Did I overlook something?

There is currently no standard way to expose this information via DOM or
SAX, though the DOM WG is working on a schema API.

However, XML Query is not defined in terms of the DOM or SAX, it is defined
in terms of our data model and type system. That does mean that
implementations of XQuery may need to find ways of accessing information
not found in the DOM representation or SAX events of a document.

Jonathan