RE: recently a newbie

I can give you a comment on the idea (and apologize in advance for the
product-centric reply, but since it seems to fit):

SQL Server 2000 currently provides so called annotated schema defined
XML views over relations that you can - today - query using an XPath 1.0
subset. We plan on providing XQuery against this view as well in the
future.

This approach does not need XQueryX since the translation is done
without XSLT for obvious performance reasons.

Best regards
Michael