From: www-ql-request@w3.org [mailto:www-ql-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of
Peter Foley
Sent: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 6:11 PM
To: www-ql@w3.org
Subject: newbie

Hello to everyone on the list. I am currently undertaking a project that
is
looking at replacing a SQL based interface to a complex database system
(2-tier)
with a web services (n-tier) system.

We are exposing the database objects as XML documents but we do not want
populate the whole XML document in order to do queries.

I am thus thinking about using XQUERY to formulate queries against the
XML
document and converting them via XSLT to SQL. I have tries a few queries
and it
looks feasible (comments welcome) but -

1) Is there a tool that converts from XQUERY to XQUERYX (for XSLT to
convert)?

2) Is XQUERY going to be expanded for Insert, Delete, Update?

3) Does XQUERY handle grouping and sorting?

Thanks for any help.

ABS Web Site:  www.abs.gov.au