Re: Concern: XQuery <> valid XML

Jeff Chapman <Jeff.Chapman@pervasive.com> writes:

> Indeed if I wrap XQuery expressions in CDATA sections, then I can store them
> as plain text.  I'm hoping for something a bit more useful.  For example, I
> would like to be able to build XML-based logic that can dissect and assemble
> XQuery expressions using normal XML tools/logic--the kind of things we can
> now do with XML Schemas that are not all that easy with DTDs.

If you want to construct queries on the fly, then the extraneous XML tags
which you have to (gratuitously) insert are an obstacle, not help.
People have been creating SQL queries on the fly easily for years (not that
SQL is a good language, but it would look even worse, if expressed in XML :-).

In fact, I believe that XML Schema looks unnecessarily cumbersome
(in part) because it is represented in XML. There is no good reason for it
to be represented using XML syntax.

I think it was a good decision to not use XML syntax for XQuery.

	--michael