Re: Where does RDF fit in with XQuery?

Hi Gary

> Libby,
>
> Thank you - this does help.  I do understand why you would want to query RDF
> using an RDF oriented query language vs. XQuery.  However, I still have a
> question that perhaps I can formulate better now:
>
> If RDF provides meta-information regarding the relationship between two
> different XML document types can I use this meta-information to help me
> formulate an XQuery that extracts information from the two related document
> types?  In other words, do I use RDF to assert relationships between XML
> document types that cannot be asserted using XML Schema?  My understanding
> is that XML Schema provides the meta-information for a single XML document
> type and cannot provide meta-information describing the relationship between
> XML document types.  RDF is for this purpose, correct?

This is an interesting idea. I've been pondering it over a few days
with a friend of mine, Damian Steer, who isn't on these lists. He
suggested that you might be able to use RDF to point into XML schema
documents and say things like thisTag is equivalent to
thisOtherTag. You could point into XML schemas in RDF using Xpointer (as
I know EARL are doing for XML instance documents). RDF schema itself
doesn't enable you to say that classes are equivalent, but the DAML work
extends RDF to be able to do this.

So what this would mean is that we might be able to query several
XML instance documents with different XML schemas by using information
that could be encoded in RDF. I don't really know enough about Xquery
to know what this would look like though.

So there are two possible routes for achieving mapping between XML
schemas (and probably more): RDF/DAML or XSLT. They seem to have some
overlap in application. The former is more 'meaningful' (it has to do
with the semantics of the schemas), whereas the latter is purely
mechanical. The former looks like it could be a better solution in this
situation.

> Does RDF meta-information ever include instance data from the XML documents
> being described?  Which use is more prevalent - providing meta-information
> regarding XML document types or providing meta-information regarding XML
> document instances?  Does this question make sense?

RDF meta information could include XML using the seldom-implemented
parse type=Literal syntax. If so, the RDF processor would ignore this.
One common use of RDF is describing web pages (instances). I don't know
any when use RDF to describe XML documents (schemas or instances) unless
you count Xhtml. There is EARL, which describes parts of Xhtml or XML
document instances using RDF.

Your questions make sense...hope this helps

Libby

EARL: http://www.w3.org/2001/03/earl/
DAML: http://www.daml.org/2001/03/daml+oil-index