RE: Where does RDF fit in with XQuery?

At 10:47 PM 6/24/2001 +0100, Dan Brickley wrote:

>Hi Jonathan,
>
>On Fri, 22 Jun 2001, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>
> > Also note that it is no harder to convert data into triples that do have a
> > syntactic representation than it is to convert data into triples that
> do not.
>
>How would you suggest we deal with "implied triples", such as those
>related to datatypes. For example, there may be a vast number of triples
>for relations such as 'before' and 'after' in applications such as
>calendar / scheduling systems. Can we use XQuery-based tools to answer
>this kind of question about RDF datasets?

I'm not sure whether I understand the question. By "implied triples", do
you mean the relationship between the times indicated by dates and times?
XQuery can directly compare instances of datatypes to see if one is before
the other - although that depends on work that has not yet been completed,
the operators and functions work being done by a joint task force of XSL
and XQuery, which will define the operators on datatypes.

If "implied triples" means something else, it's probably time for me to
learn about them ;->

I should mention that I am still exploring and learning, and the results of
my work are not at all established.

Jonathan