Re: [ANN] Open SVG Test Suite launches

At 11:26 AM 1/30/2006 +0900, Karl Dubost wrote:
>Le 06-01-20 à 06:52, Lofton Henderson a écrit :
>>Here is a topic that might interest the QA IG -- a proposal [1] for
>>an open source, community-built test suite (for SVG).
>>
>>[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2006Jan/0323.html
>
>That's a very interesting initiative indeed. And I hope there will be
>more of those. It's very hard sometimes to create all necessary tests
>and the more test cases, the more it's becoming easy to tackle not
>only implementation mistakes, but possibly specification mistakes.
>
>Though sometimes, the call for open participation is not effective. I
>always wonder if it's a lack of framework for it, or if it's a lack
>of interests.

One of the biggest challenges for a project such as this is the quality
assurance of the tests themselves.  It seems that the "framework" must
anticipate and plan for this -- how do you get consensus that each test is
correct, or deal with tests whose correctness is disputed?  As we have seen
repeatedly, the writing (or assembly) of a test suite exposes disputes
about correct interpretation of the specification being tested.

This issue could be particularly acute in the proposed framework of open
editing of the test suite contents, Wiki style.

-Lofton.