Re: QA Tips: Make readable URIs

At 11:19 AM +0900 8/20/04, olivier Thereaux wrote:
>Hello Al,
>

>On Aug 20, 2004, at 4:23, Al Gilman wrote:
>>[...]
>>
>>Rather, say
>>
>>"In addition to making your URIs suitably machine processable by
>>following the specifications, making them user-friendly will pay off
>>in increased readership. Human-processable URIs spread better through
>>word-of-mouth and plain-text communication, which is a lever you want
>>to use. Nothing builds trust like a referral from a friend."
>
>Good ideas, I will try to include some of this wording into my draft.
>
>>Some discussion:
>>
>>Please see the Architecture Document on URI Opacity:
>>   http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#uri-opacity
>
>Indeed, I was about to link to this section (recently read the
>updated webarch draft)
>
>>Machine processing and human comprehension and reproduction of URIs are not
>>anthetical.  It is both necessary that they be machine processable
>>and good that
>>they be easy for people to process.
>
>Indeed, I think that's what we're trying to convey.

Excellent.

>>In the tip don't say
>>
>>"Despite the fact that URIs are only supposed to be machine
>>processable, it is yet good to make them behave well when processed
>>by people."
>
>I am not sure which revision/version of the draft you found this
>wording in. The latest draft does not appear to have it:
>http://www.w3.org/QA/2004/08/readable-uri

[for concreteness in pointing the editor's cursor...]

That was a paraphrase of the following wording:

<quote cite=
"http://www.w3.org/QA/2004/08/readable-uri">

By design, URIs are supposed to be mere identifiers, only to be
processed by Web agents and servers. ...

It is however sometimes preferable ...
</quote>

That introductory section "Why readable URIs?" should  probably be
rewritten around the
positive message.  It's not necessary to start with such a severe
caveat, as you can see.

Al