Re: QA Tips: Make readable URIs

Hello Al,

On Aug 20, 2004, at 4:23, Al Gilman wrote:
> In the tip don't say
>
> "Despite the fact that URIs are only supposed to be machine
> processable, it is yet good to make them behave well when processed
> by people."

I am not sure which revision/version of the draft you found this
wording in. The latest draft does not appear to have it:
http://www.w3.org/QA/2004/08/readable-uri

> Rather, say
>
> "In addition to making your URIs suitably machine processable by
> following the specifications, making them user-friendly will pay off
> in increased readership. Human-processable URIs spread better through
> word-of-mouth and plain-text communication, which is a lever you want
> to use. Nothing builds trust like a referral from a friend."

Good ideas, I will try to include some of this wording into my draft.

> Some discussion:
>
> Please see the Architecture Document on URI Opacity:
>   http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#uri-opacity

Indeed, I was about to link to this section (recently read the updated
webarch draft)

> Machine processing and human comprehension and reproduction of URIs
> are not
> anthetical.  It is both necessary that they be machine processable and
> good that
> they be easy for people to process.

Indeed, I think that's what we're trying to convey.

--
olivier