Re: [DRAFT] QA Tips - Gif versus PNG

Le jeudi, 18 sep 2003, à 12:32 America/Montreal, Alex Rousskov a écrit :
> This phrase needs to be brought in sync with current date, of course.
> The patent has expired, AFAIK.

yes it was not at the time of the writing I will fix that.

>>     http://www.delphion.com/details?&pn=US04558302__
>
> This seem to describe the US patent. Is there a page that gives
> expiration dates for non-US patents?

It seems, but I don't have exact references, that it will be in 2004.
But I don't know if it's for all countries or not.

> If this tip is "approved", please note that W3C is still using GIF
> images. For example, W3C front page has a GIF image advertising
> a company (probably a prominent W3C member):
> 	http://www.w3.org/Icons/Logo_25wht.gif

Good point, I can transmit that to the Comm Team.

> QA WG pages use W3C-produced GIFs as well. For example, "XHTML
> conformant icon" on the QA Matrix page:
> 	http://validator.w3.org/images/vxhtml10

both.  We are making content negociation and the browsers are receiving
what they are asking.

http://validator.w3.org/images/vxhtml10.png
http://validator.w3.org/images/vxhtml10.gif

> I am _not_ complaining, just noting integrity problems if the tip is
> approved...

You will notice all along the tip that we do not say "Don't use GIF".
We are just giving information about the two formats and the benefits
of PNG.

W3C Conformance Manager
*** Be Strict To Be Cool ***