Re: [qaframe-spec] What is an implementation?

* david_marston@us.ibm.com wrote:
>Alex and Bjoern seem to be converging on an understanding that I think
>is intended by SpecGL:
>A spec specifies the behavior of one or more classes of product. That
>is, the class is the conformance subject. Each implementation is one
>instance of the class, and it can be tested for conformance.

Hmm. Various W3C Technical Reports define and/or use the term
"implementation" as opposed to specifications, documents, etc.

>Example: the XSLT spec has one class of product, an XSLT processor. It
>does not define the notion of conformance for a stylesheet editor, a
>validator, or any other product.

Why are stylesheets not a class of product here? Is this considered good
practise? I must admit that I find it odd that the XSLT 1.0 Rec does not
mention stylesheets in its section on conformance or not to consider
XSLT stylesheets a class of product of the XSLT 1.0 Recommendation.

I would appreciate if the Specification Guidelines require that all
requirements of a specification are directly bound to a class of product
(which would consider the conformance section of XSLT 1.0 bad practise).