RE: Issue 1041: ICS Good Practices: 1.2 A, B., C

At 10:51 AM 3/17/2005 -0500, Lynne S. Rosenthal wrote:

>My preference, is to be clear that the ICS is a vendor s articulation of
>what they have implemented and implemented in his mind, correctly

That, I believe, is what my suggested rewording does.  E.g.,

feature-X-implemented + implicit-correctness-belief  =
conformance-claim-feature-X

>(cause why would someone take the time to implement it badly?).

Whew!  This could take hours to answer.  Suffice it to say:  it happens,
and (marketing) people use the presence of the (incorrect) feature to deceive.

It is not necessarily a case of "intentionally implement badly".  But
someone takes a first crack at feature X, don't have time to finish it,
don't have time to fix the bugs, gotta' put out a proposal to sell the
product, add feature X to the checklist, etc.  (Maybe honestly intending to
fix it before ... whatever).

I ran across this so much during the peak of the CALS frenzy, it was one
major motivation for the ISO CGM "Profiles and Conformance" addendum (for
which you were the editor, IFIC).  And for our WebCGM approach to ICS.
</rant>

>So, I agree with your comment regarding .. answering yes & has been tested
>and correctly implemented (i.e., conform).   I suggest dropping and
>correctly implemented (i.e., conform).

This change is better than nothing.

>The problem is that people are confused often reading too much into the
>conformance part of the ICS.

...but I still think my wording solves it cleanly, without a lot if
intricate dancing around whether it's an inventory, with it's claimed
correct or not, whether its substantiated incorrect or not.

-Lofton.